27.5.12

Xeng Zulueta

It is our age’s dream to work in the fabulous field of fashion. For someone who’s been in the business for about 13 years, beautifying magazine covers and fashion editorials through her skills in make-up, Xeng Zulueta is without a doubt a pro in the field of Fashion Cosmetics.

First Photo (c) xengzulueta.com, Second Photo (c) jtsalazar.weddingannouncer.com, Magazine Photo Array (c) xengzulueta.com

Xeng Zulueta, a name once affiliated to the Cosmetic brand Shu Uemura being its Make-Up head for the Philippines in 2002, made a name for her own. Now a clothing brand manager[the swimsuit brand Wanderlust] and  sought after professional make-up artist, Xeng is a master of her craft. An artist, a true-free spirited woman.

Ms. Bea purposely covered since the Mag is not yet on the market (sorry!)

I met a petite, predominantly Asian looking, and fresh from the holiday tanned lady when she was the make-up artist for a magazine  shoot. Carrying a large bag with all her make-up stuff she headed doing the model’s make up as we casually conversed. Wearing minimal make-up who would ever think that this lady is responsible for the beautiful faces we see in magazines. Her “work look” is simple, comfortable pretty much contrasting her work field which was the glamorous photo shoots of different magazines.

What was your calling, and how did you end up working in the field of make-up?
There was no corporate Calling. I just saw that this field (make-up) is predominantly a male profession, so it’s a male dominated profession in a woman’s world. Men had these jobs, which I believe women will excel in too. I enrolled (with my own savings) in a make-up school in London 12 years ago… So basically that’s how I end up doing this.

What was your family’s take in you entering the field?
                My family’s more of the business type, finance and stuff. And they were like “MAKE-UP ARTIST?” you could say I was the odd one out. I was in design and retail when I decided I wanted to study make-up so I sent myself to study overseas, paid for my own expenses and all.

What’s your take in Filipina make-up?
                Filipina make up? Oh, no two filipina’s look alike. Just take in account all the Ms. Universe from different countries, they all look alike. Put in Ms. China from the 60’s to today, they look alike. The Ms. Venezualas from the 60’s to today, the features are the same. Chinese, Caucasian and what falls in between. The challenge is “What Filipina beauty truly means”, be flexible as a make-up artist, what applies to one may not apply for all. And of course embrace the skin you’re in.


(c) pegeant,com/universe (c) missuniverse.com

So what is the Filipina beauty for you?
                Well for me, it’s Globally flexibleadaptable and it really changed from what it was 30 or 20 years ago.



As a Make-up artist you should…?
                Well of course, know your stuff. It is a make-up artist sole responsibility to make your clients look well, look good. If your model, for example, has very bad skin, it’s your job to make them look better, you’re paid for that.

What are the perks you get from being a make-up Artist?
                Well it’s a very mobile job; I get to travel a lot. Different shoots different places.

What’s your take in the beauty Industry?
                I don’t really foresee, or take myself too seriously. My job may take time, reaches a lot of people but a job is a job, you can’t take your job into another life form. Yes, there are days that I go beyond my job description but I learned to cut myself from it, the same feeling I get with the beauty industry, you really have to have a sense of humor. Wouldn’t last 13 years if I didn’t have a sense of humor, without it the industry wouldn't pull you back [or be wanting for you]. Because I believe there are things only you can do. Establish yourself in a certain way.

Any advice for those who want to enter this field of make-up?
                Don’t get into it. It may sound so negative but it’s the best advice I can give. There are so many people wanting to get into this job and I’m telling you, it’s not as glamorous as it may seem. And the senior make-up artists, who are a lot more experienced are still here and they will be in this field for the next 10 to 20 years I guess? So that my advice.

What’s your take on Cosmetic Surgery?
                As I mentioned, everyone is entitled to their own definition of beauty. If they think that undergoing cosmetic procedure to achieve that nose or whatever will beautify them, then that’s it. I’m very open to these kinds of things, everybody is entitled to their own perspectives of beauty[Though I have never tried going under any invasive procedures]

What do you see in the youth in today’s Industry?
                Well I’m seeing a new breed of Slashers. Photographer/ Stylist/ model or Stylist/Model/ Make-up Artist.  Well you have to be creative, because life is tough and you have to make money. The thing is kids nowadays don’t know what they want. Today it’s about marketing yourself  and being creative with your titles.

So after 13 years in the business how did your family see your success in the field you ventured in?
                Being the only “Artist” in the family, well I guess I must say. I had the last laugh.

My internship in P3 allowed me to meet new personalities who I take life experience from. I must say, the experience thought me a lot and I will always be thankful for the opportunity.

Check out Xeng Zulueta's Blog: http://xengzulueta.com/
For Make Up Question and Inquiries go to the pro: @xengzulueta





<3MissCelineous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...